Pages

Friday, September 21, 2007

recycling decluttering F5

de-cluttering Friday 5 via the RevGals today!

Suggested by Sally:
With Jo, Jon and Chris all moving to college and University accommodation there has been a big clear up going on in the Coleman household. We have been sorting and trying hard not just to junk stuff, but actually to get it to where it can be useful. On a brighter note we have used Freecycle (check it out) to provide the twins with pots and pans etc that other folk were clearing out. Making the most of our resources is important, I have been challenged this week by the amount of stuff we accumulate, I'd love to live a simpler lifestyle, it would be good for me, and for the environment I think...With that in mind I bring you this Friday 5.
1. Never, ever a hoarder, but I go back and forth between not letting go and purging way too much. However, for the past year I've been freecycling lots and lots of stuff, and I'll recommend it, too. In fact I've freecycled so much I decided to try listing everything and so far I have 51, which includes lots that count as only a single line item, like cassette tapes.

Harwich original2. After extensive and intensive pondering, I decided the (material I assume) object I never will part with...my academic transcripts and letters of call...oh, they are hard copies, but that's not what Sally means. My original bible, an India-paper RSV that has been many places, has near-endless notes and been consulted countless times...no, not that one either. Harwich seasonsI'll choose the analog scrapbook I made of snapshots from my grandparents house; I've been digitizing it just over the past couple weeks and plan to upload it to one of my unused domain names. The pic on the left is the very unimproved version of the house; pic on the right features the holiday cards they made of the house during each of the seasons.

3. The oldest item in my closet is one of three shirts, probably from 1995 or thereabouts, since I know I took one of them to the Convention I attended in Minneapolis-St. Paul during summer 1995. During that era floral prints superimposed on plaids were popular. I still have and still wear (yep, they fit!) all three. Two are brightly multi-colored Indian cotton; the third is a 50% outrageously garish cotton blend that goes wonderfully with my long, chrome orange denim skirt. When I've been off the alb, I've even preached in that outfit! Actually, I've won two Jessica's Gunnies skirts on eBay that chronologically are even older, probably from the late 1970s or early 1980s, but they haven't been part of my life all that long.

4. I LOVE yard sales, and have bought some of my most fave things at them.

5. At the moment I'm satisfied with having gotten so into freecycling, but maybe I could donate some of my books to a church or other library.

Bonus: whatever I want—thanks again, Sally!

4 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I must check out this freecycle thing.

Jan said...

Your enthusiasm about freecycling has me intrigued. Would you post more about it? Thanks.

Diane M. Roth said...

you sound like you have great taste in rummage wear!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

yahoo for the sales... so far you're the only other gal i've found who would take time for yard sales. folks just don't know what treasures they could be passing up... and i mean treasures too!