Pages

Friday, November 02, 2007

interviews F5

Interviews Friday 5 for today, outlined by Mother Laura of .

this far by faith...

1. What was the most memorable interview you ever had?

Tough one, but possibly one from the last century (so many now qualify for that non-distinction) where I was interviewing for a church music position. It was virtually the only time I've ever been excessively and probably visibly nervous in a public setting and toward the end they said "If we get serious about hearing you play..." hey, isn't that always part of the process of finding someone whose job will include playing? Despite having no intentions or desires whatsoever to be a church musician forever, I wanted the job in order to fund my social work degree and to get the experience that would make me valuable as a guest (substitute?) organist. Not to sound too vain and arrogant, not long after I ended up in a job that also included some involvement with the youth and CE programs, and I know if that other church had heard me play, I'd probably have gotten the job hands down, and it would have been far more limiting and less valuable to me in the long run.

2. Have you ever been the interviewer rather than the interviewee? If so, are you a tiger, a creampuff, or somewhere in between?

About 234239847 times, both when I've been on local church staff and have been part of the interviewing team for potential staff (usually musicians), and when I managed the rental property, interviewing future resident managers for the owner's other properties was part of my job description...landlord always told me I could hire them, but I refused and would only recommend my top choice, since I always imagined he figured if I'd hired them he could blame me, the hirer, if the hiree didn't work out well. tiger or creampuff? In the church I've been very demanding, since I had experience as a church musician and had lived through the "temperamental" stereotype which never fit me in the least, but that I did not want to need to work alongside if at all possible. Regarding future property managers, I tried to get a sense of how their background might be appropriate and how honest they be dealing with timecards and collecting rent. In that case I got to check references on the phone, and yep, I was a bit of a tiger.

3. Do phone interviews make you more or less nervous than in-person ones?

Depends on the stakes involved, but in general I'm far more confident FTF, since then both parties have the face and the body language as well as the inflection.

4. What was the best advice you ever got to prepare for an interview? How about the worst?

can't think of any in either category, but I've reminded and also realized no one can close a door God wants open and no one can open a door God closes, so don't sweat the small, medium or large stuff, but at least be well prepared by knowing as much as possible about the company or organization and present yourself as enthusiastic though please, not to an ultra-manic degree. this far by faith...

5. Do you have any pre-interview rituals that give you confidence?
...recent haircut and eyebrow wax...?

6 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Number 4...yeah. I tend to forget these things too often.

Had to LOL at the eyebrow wax. I didn't think of it when doing my own F.F. answers, but it is one I should have included.

Not to mention checking for nose hair.

;-D

Unknown said...

It is amazing that you've been a n interviewer 234239847 times. Really.

I refuse to do anything with my eyebrows, just a thing. More power to you.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Thanks Leah! Good play.

Do you still want to meet up when I'm in downtown SD for AAR in two weeks? I will be there most of Saturday 17 Nov, giving a paper at 4 if I recall correctly, and Sunday 18 Nov.--so far only time filled is an interview at 1:30.

Prayers for your discernment.

Diane M. Roth said...

eyebrows. I've only done them once, once I tell you. I'm jealous. I think it would be good to do it again.

In case you are curious, yes, I do pluck them.
back in my day, in the dark ages, that was all they told you to do.
but after a shower, so it hurt less.

Anonymous said...

Great advice and attitude on #4, it definitely helps.

leah said...

laura, during that time i may or may not be in sedona, but i'll email you my cell# in a few so we can communicate...this has been a powerful F5 for me, and i need to try to read everyone's play.

diane, not to be weird(er than i am), but plucking hurts like crazy and makes one (me, you) cry real tears, while waxing is a very momentary minor discomfort and you always get a really clean line!