List four ways you like to relax or give yourself a break. Then name a fifth, something you've never been able to do, a self-care dream.I am very tired, depleted, needing renewal and needing resurrection, but feeling very enthusiastic about playing today! This is the Short List, since I easily could extend it to a couple dozen items.
- Visiting the Arizona side of the Sonoran desert. As much as I love the seashore, ocean and beach and as passionate as I am about the city - almost any city - just like the cross of Jesus Christ, there is something about the desert that strips me bare, revives and renews me like nothing else!
- Talking and sharing a meal with friends or a friend; church or (other) community dinners and potlucks are a close second.
- Walking along the beach, in almost any weather, barefoot whenever possible. In cooler weather I especially enjoy the process of dressing warmly in anticipation of my beach trek.
- Reading theology and writing theology—really! I think theologically close to 24/7, and why wouldn’t I do that if it weren’t energizing and fun?!
- My self-care dream: Learning to be alone with myself to dream, imagine and to revel in solitude. Maybe some day that’ll happen?!